Today, Activision revealed details for the upcoming Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War. A lot of details. The publisher covered everything from different multiplayer modes, character customizations, loadout, and more. Check below for the full briefing on the upcoming Call of Duty multiplayer.
The multiplayer mode will have its own story elements based on history. Players will personalize their clandestine operators including their classified past. Operators can join a variety of active Cold War organizations including the CIA, MI6, KGB, and more.
The multiplayer narrative is set years after the Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War campaign’s story. The campaign itself is a direct sequel to the original Call of Duty: Black Ops.
[widget path=”global/article/imagegallery” parameters=”albumSlug=call-of-duty-black-ops-cold-war-campaign-screenshots&captions=true”]
- Cold War Globetrotting: There is a wide range of locales from around the world from the contested waters of the Black Sea, searing Angola deserts, urban Moscow, and the neon-soaked streets of Miami’s South Beach.
- All-new Modes: New modes such as the 6v6 VIP Escort operations, 12v12 Combined Arms battles, and the 40-player, objective-based Fireteam.
- Fireteam: 10 teams in squads of four face off in large-scale maps that include land, sea, and air vehicles, all while completing various objects. This sandbox-style multiplayer mode allows teams to complete missions as they see fit. The first Fireteam game type is called Dirty Bomb.
- The Fireteam Spawn system lets players respawn in different ways, either by spawning onto a teammate not in combat, parachuting back into the map, or spawning directly into the passenger seat of a teammate’s vehicle.
- Maps will range from the three-lane map design to open combat space to large-scale maps that combine infantry and vehicular combat.
- Tools of the Tradecraft: Black Ops Cold War will have iconic weapons from the 1980s that will cater to Black Ops’ fast and fluid gameplay.
- Create-a-Class has been simplified with a new slog-based loadout system that offers better flexibility for players. There are also four new Wildcards to enhance the customization depth.
- Gunsmith now offers 54 attachments per weapon across 8 attach points on primary weapons. You can now equip up to 8 attachments at once with a certain Wildcard selected.
- In-game weapon stats lets players create their own weapon through unique stats that now show +/- percentage changes in attachment stats.
- Scorestreak System: Scores are no longer lost on death and players can earn score multipliers for stringing together multiple kills in a single life. Objectives will also count towards your score, and each Scorestreak goes on cooldown after use to prevent spamming.
- New vehicles for Land, Sea, and Air such as Snowmobiles, Dirt Bikes, Gunboats, Wakerunners, FAV buggies, attack helicopters, and tanks.
- Perks return with new and fan-favorite options like Spycraft, Gearhead, Ninja, Ghost, Engineer, and more.
- Time-to-kill has been tuned to ensure gun skill is a top skill to have in multiplayer.
- Unlimited spring and auto-regen for more focus on gameplay.
- Sprints will automatically begin with a small burst of speed that settles into normal spring speed. Sliding will also transition to a crouched position to promote fluid movement.
- Mini-map displays non-suppressed fire on the map for all players.
- Zipline from one objective area to another, or rappel up an elevated position.
Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War will also support both cross-gen and cross-play so players can party up with teammates across different systems, console generations, and PC. Free post-launch content will add new multiplayer maps and modes, and a Battle Pass system will ensure there will be regular rewards.
As previously announced, Black Ops Cold War’s multiplayer and Warzone will share a “progression journey” that will add inventory items for both titles, and even share post-launch content “from a narrative standpoint, interweaving the themes, locations, weapons, and vehicles of Black Ops Cold War into the Warzone action.”
Next-gen Features and New Multiplayer Systems
- Black Ops Cold War features 4K visuals for next-gen consoles and PC.
- Next-Gen 3D Audio on next-gen platforms and PC that creates a more realistic soundscape.
- Threat Priority System: A new “Threat Priority” audio system dynamically assigns priorities to various sounds during a firefight.
- Directional Ballistics: A new method to integrate “bullet crack” (the sonic boom created by a bullet traveling faster than the speed of sound). This system communicates to players when they are in danger, their distance from an attacker, and the angle of incoming shots.
- Authentic Acoustics: Complete acoustic model provides detailed occlusion and reverb for an authentic sound on all platforms.
- Contour Terrain Tech: New custom terrain lets developers create larger, more immersive play spaces.
- 120Hz support for next-gen consoles.
- Hardware-based raytracing on next-gen consoles, and DirectX raytracing on PC.
- Haptic feedback on PlayStation 5 DualSense controller.
For more, check out IGN’s Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War multiplayer preview.
Matt T.M. Kim is a reporter for IGN.